Please see the attached for the SMBA information update for the 2020 Season.
2020 Season Information
Hello Simcoe Minor Baseball Association Families,
As everyone is aware, we are in some unprecedented times. The executive of SMBA has been meeting
regularly via online meetings to figure out how to deal with COVID-19.
Below you will find some information on how we are planning to proceed.
1. We are optimistic that a season can still happen for both House League and Rep programs.
2. We encourage everyone to register on our website ASAP, if they are planning to play baseball this season. Once we get the OK to return to the diamond, we will need to have uniforms, equipment, diamond time secured, umpires trained, coaches trained etc. The only way we can be prepared, is if we know how many teams we will have, so we need all players registered.
3. Some deadlines are as follows:
Deadline to register Online – April 30th, 2020
Payment Deadline – To Be Determined, but payment must be made before first game or practice.
Refund Deadline – If you have paid, and there is no season, you will get a full refund.
4. You will find at the bottom of this email, the correspondence that has been sent out by Baseball Ontario, just in case you didn’t receive it directly. This informed us that all activities are cancelled until May 1st. Because of this, we are cancelling our In Person registration dates, as well as our Spring Baseball dates in April and May at SCS gym.
5. Finally, SMBA will be doing everything possible to ensure we have a House League season in 2020. This includes potentially changing the months we play in. More discussion will be had, but we could potentially play in June, July, August, instead of our normal May, June, July time frame. More to come once we get more info.
If you have any questions, please contact an executive member.
MESSAGE FROM BASEBALL ONTARIO (April 1, 2020)
While the COVID-19 situation remains fluid, Baseball Ontario is continuing to monitor the situation.
Last month, with safety in mind for the entire organization, several actions were implemented. In-person
baseball activities were suspended for Level 1 and 2 Umpires as well as coaches. Level 3 Umpire Super
Clinics were cancelled in favour of online exams. Since the first announcement on March 15th,
Baseball Ontario has been working with various committees and individuals to establish on-line programs
for umpires and coaches. Details on those programs will be announced in the coming days. The Ontario
Youth Team has established new tryout dates (subject to change). The executive committee meeting
regularly by teleconference continues to plan and prepare so that the baseball community is ready to go
when the opportunity presents itself. As the situation evolves, Baseball Ontario will update its website and
social media platforms regularly. Based on the recommendations of our provincial government health
officials, Baseball Ontario will be extending the suspension of all in-person programs and activities until
May 1, 2020. We will review this new timeline at the end of April.